Red Cell Serology – Blood Grouping Automation
BLOOD GROUPING LABORATORY
Every person has different blood group. Whenever a patient requires blood he must receive blood from same blood group donor and only after compatibility testing. Thus Blood group testing is one of the very first essential tests done in the blood bank. All the donor’s blood groups and atypical antibodies screenings are performed on fully automated blood grouping systems by Digast, France on Qualis Equipment.
TTI (Transfusion Transmitted Infections ) LABORATORY
Some infections like HIV, Hepatitis, Malaria, Syphilis can be transmitted to patient through blood. Hence after collection every donor’s blood is tested for transfusion transmitted infections (TTI). It is only after this testing; blood can be used for patient. This avoids spread of these infections. To reduce chances of finding these infections blood is collected from voluntary blood donors only.
TTI Laboratory – Elisa Automated Processor
- Blood Bank has fully automated Four Plate Elisa Processor (EVO 75) from TECAN for testing these infections.
TTI Laboratory NAT
- NAT Laboratory – Cobas S201 from Roche is fully automated machine used for NAT testing which is World-class US FDA approved.
- Blood bank has established state of art NAT laboratory to ensure safe blood transfusion. By NAT testing, RNA and DNA of viruses are detected, hence possibility of TTI is practically ruled out.
In older times when blood was collected in glass bottles it was not possible to separate various blood components. But now days as blood is collected in plastic sterile and closed pouches, it is possible to separate different blood components. Currently 80% of collected blood is separated into components. Components available at our place are
- Concentrated Red Blood Cells,
- Platelet Concentrate
- Fresh Frozen Plasma
Component Laboratory – Automated Component Extractors
- JKRP is fully equipped with best quality latest equipments like Automated Component Extractors, refrigerated centrifuges for preparing blood components Yearly around 40,000 components are prepared. By organizing awareness programs for physicians and surgeons, it has succeeded in ensuring rational use of blood.
- Component preparation by Buffy Coat method
Blood collected in special blood collecting bags is centrifuged at high speed in refrigerated centrifuge to obtain buffy coat layer just above red cells. With the help of automated machine buffy coat is trapped and removed into satellite bag. Additive solution is added into Red Cells automatically by the machine. Buffy coat consisting of WBC, platelet and minimal plasma is centrifuged at light speed to separate platelet which is then transferred in second satellite bag. With the help of machine RBCs sensors prevent Red Cell contamination in platelet concentrate.
Advanced Automated Component Extractor consists of compressor, automated pressers, extractors, numerous sensors to trap buffy coat and avoid Red Cell contamination in platelet and plasma. Numerous sealers & balances are also incorporated.
How patient is benefited ?
- Blood Transfusion Reactions substantially reduced
- Increased shelf life from existing 35 days up to 42 days.
- Higher flow rate can be achieved at the time of transfusion.
From February 2013 we have established ‘Apheresis Laboratory.’
What is Apheresis ?
- “Apheresis” is a Greek word which means “taking away” or “to separate” or “ to remove”.
- Apheresis constitutes a procedure in which donor/patient blood is processed to take away or remove a specific portion of blood.
- The remaining blood is returned back to the donor/patient
- We have established this laboratory with COM.TECH CELL SEPARATOR (Frescinious Kabi, Germany).
- This Machine is giving appropriate yield of platelets i.e. greater than “3 X 1011 Platelets/Pouch.” It is observed that the yield of one SDP is equivalent to 6 to 8 RDPs.
Where the SDP is needed ?
SDP is needed in Management of active bleeding and Decreased platelet count eg. Dengue, Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy (Blood Cancer), Leukemia
Advantages of Apheresis Technique:-
- Only required constituent of blood is removed from the donor and remaining constituents of blood are reinfused, hence it is beneficial for donor.
- Since testing for HIV, Hepatitis B and C, malaria , syphilis etc. is done before the procedure, discarding of the componentis ruled out.
- Some advantages of Apheresis are described by comparing platelet concentrate prepared from apheresis (SDP),and old technique (RDP) as below.
|1. Number of donors exposed||One||Multiple|
|2. Chances of exposure Transfusion Transmitted infections||Less||More|
|3. Chances developing refractoriness to platelet||Less||More|
|4. Risk of bacterial contamination||Less||More|
|5. Yield of Platelet||More 6 to 8 times RDP||Less|
|6.HLA or Platelet matched donors component can be prepared||Possible||Not Possible|
- This Technique is primary used for taking out platelets from blood donor which are 5 to 6 times effective over conventional Platelet Concentrate .
- It also avoid infection of platelet refractination & Transfusion Transmitted Diseases
Jankalyan Blood Bank is committed for blood collection only from Voluntary Blood Donors so, to avoid the panicky situations of patient’s relatives regarding need of replacement donor, we have created a group of voluntary blood donors for SDP also, who are just one phone call away from us.
Also the service charges kept bare minimal so as to recover the recurring expenses.
We don’t demand replacement donors for patient’s any type of blood requirement. You can also join this group.
Snap freezer is the machine which rapidly freezes the plasma which is separated from blood. The inside temperature of machine reduces to lesser than -300C within half an hour time. Due to this rapid freezing more than 70% quantity of normal clotting factors level remain viable and active. Thus the quality and desired action of clotting factors can be maintained. It requires less volume for storage and chances of leakage after thawing are minimal.
Currently this machine is only at Jankalyan Blood Bank.
STERILE CONNECTING DEVICE
As the name suggests this device connects tubings of two different pouches of blood under closed sterile condition. This helps to prepare smaller aliquots (portions) of component according to patient’s requirement so that exact requirement of individual patient can be fulfilled without harmful effects to the patient due to overtransfusion.
Sterile Connecting Device
e.g. children might require as less as 30 ml, 50 ml or 70 ml of component.
With the help of this device by preparing smaller portions ranging from 30 ml out of either 350 ml or 450 ml blood bag, the remaining blood unit can be used for another patient. This preparation is under sterile condition without opening any of the blood bag. Thus there are zero chances of contamination of any of blood bag. Additionally there is no wastage of remaining blood.